Kismet is our friendly little wireless stumbler that we all love. In Backtrack 4 pre release you may have noticed it is either missing functionality, or just plain doesn't work!
Here is a quick guide for you to download an alternate version of Kismet Newcore and install it on Backtrack 4:
1. Make sure your network adapter is on
# dhclient eth0
2. Change your director to /usr/src to download the Kismet Newcore source code
# cd /usr/src
3. Download the Kismet source using the built-in subversioning software
# svn co https://kismetwireless.net/code/svn/trunk kismet
4. Open the newly created kismet directory
# cd kismet
5. Confrigure and make the source code
# ./configure --prefix=/opt && make && make install
6. Now change your directory to where you want kismet to store its logging files
# cd somewhere/useful/for/your/logging/files
7. Run kismet
There you have it! A fresh version of Kismet Newcore installed.
When you run kismet, it will ask you to add a new capture source. You will (typically) add wlan0. This will change however, depending on your hardware.